Thursday, 10 March 2016

Quick and easy Copic Skin tutorial

I often get asked how I colour my skin tones when I colour with Copics. I am not awesome at it and have a long way to improve but I think I do pretty well. So of course I offered to do this quick tutorial and my E13 nib is dirty and caused a bit of issue with blotchy patches, BUT it will still give you an idea on my technique. For this tutorial I am using Sandra from Illustrations by T.  This is the digital stamp that allows for use on my crafts that I sell. She is also in Tamara's newest colouring book "It's just a flirt".



To get this look, you will need E000, E00, E11, E13, E21 and R20.


Step 1. Lay a full layer of E000 over the skin area. This slightly dampens the paper and allows for easier and better blending

Step 2. Choose the direction of light (I am choosing my light source to be coming from the upper left) and using E13, put in your darkest shadow. I also add a very fine line of E13 to where the highlight will be so I get dimension.


Step 3. Using E11, go over your E13 but extend it inwards just a little but slightly more on the shadowed area.



Step 4. Using E21, go over what you've already coloured, again extending it, further on the shadowed area.


Step 5.  Use R20 to give her some blush on her cheeks.

Step 6. Using E00, go over your previous colours and extend leaving a small area of highlight.

Step 7. Colour over your entire skin area with your E000. Normally this is my last step, but in my attempt to fix the blotchy patches, I added one more step.

Step 8. As I said in the last step, I only added this step in my attempt to fix the blotchy skin a little. To do that, I went back over where the first 3 shadow colours with E00. This didn't completely fix the problem, but it has made it more acceptable for my own personal standard. So while not perfect or my best (thanks to that dirty nib on the E13), she still came up pretty good!


And that is it! It just takes a bit of practice but here you have my standard colouring for skin. I hope this has helped you.

Shannon xxx





8 comments:

  1. Shannon!!! Muchas gracias por el tutorial, buenisimo para aprender a colorear!!! espero un día lograr esas maravillas!!! Precioso sus trabajos!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Muchas gracias. Me alegro de mi tutorial podría ayudarle

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the information, I am trying to learn how to color, thanks again and keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vivian. I hope you found it helpful.
      Shannon xxx

      Delete
    2. Thank you Vivian. I hope you found it helpful.
      Shannon xxx

      Delete
  3. Thank you Shannon for this colouring tutorial,it's must better then watching a you tube video,cant wait now for my pens to arrive,big help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome Sheena. I look forward to seeing your work once your pens arrive. ❤

      Delete