Friday, 9 October 2015

Introducing Kili Tingatinga Art


Recently I was asked by another colourist if I would be interested in doing a colouring page for a friend of hers that owned a business here in Australia that helps with a charity. She sent me off to www.kilitingtinga.com.au to check it and to get back to her. "Kili Tingatinga Art is a Melbourne-based business dedicated not only to bringing this unique painting style to Australia, but to helping the communities that create Tingatinga artwork, where poverty and hunger are everyday realities. Kili Tingatinga Art operates on fair-trade principles, buying original paintings directly from the artists, helping them support their families and communities." They have recently started selling Kili Kolours which are colouring pages. Some of the profits will be donated to an African charity (I haven't been told which one has been finalized, but it will either be Ndoto Afrika who help assist with sustainable development projects in rural and urban communities or Room to Read which is a non-profit organization for improving literacy and gender equality in education in the developing world.

So this is the image I was given to colour and boy did it take me ALOT longer than I had anticipated! As you know, I mostly colour people. And while colouring people usually scares most, I am the opposite! They now come easily to me so I was scared to colour this! Yes, really I was! I didn't know where to start and I didn't know how I wanted to colour it. Pictures usually "speak to me" and I colour the way I feel that it does. My youngest daughter watches an ABC cartoon called Tinga Tinga Tales so I knew that normally for that style, the colours are not what we expect them to be. But with this picture in front of me and an idea of how it "should" look, I was stumped. I finally decided that I couldn't colour it in any other way but my own and to me, this picture said I needed lots of green and bright colours. Now I couldn't do this in one sitting. In fact I had to do it in a handful with a break in between due to being ill and having the shakes from high amounts of Ventolin. But all up, there is approximately 12 hours of work in this A4 image! OMG I can only imagine how long it would take to colour this in it's A3 size that they are sold in! You certainly get your money's worth from them. I found this project quite a challenge for me due to it not being my regular style, but it was a great picture to loose myself in. 

I hope you love my take on this and go check out the webpage mentioned above or visit their Facebook page.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon, just popping in via Kili Tingatinga Art and Yael's beautiful page to say what an amazing job you have done with her picture- I cant wait to start mine - it will be a relaxing project to work on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting and you wonderful feedback! You will love colouring it!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for visiting and you wonderful feedback! You will love colouring it!

      Delete